Roythornes have an 85-year history of working with farmers and landowners across the region. As such we have long had an association with the environment, those who look after it, and work within it and are therefore delighted to be sponsoring the 2021 iiE awards. The awards recognise all that is good in our business and personal lives and those who are championing looking after the planet on which we live.
Environmental issues are at the forefront of much of our own activity and we try to engage with like-minded individuals and businesses that share our ethos. To this end, we are determined to make sure that, whilst we carry out our work, any detrimental impact on our surroundings is kept to a minimum.
The work we do has many links with the environmental sector, for example:
- We have a strong presence in the renewable energy sector, helping clients to generate clean energy every day
- We are working with our farming clients on ways of using the carbon their land captures as an additional source of income, as other businesses look to offset the carbon they generate as part of their day-to-day work
We became members of Investors in the Environment in 2013 – and have benefitted greatly from their guidance and advice on our environmental journey. It has given us the opportunity to connect with like-minded businesses and exchange ideas on how we can further improve.
Amongst the initiatives we have undertaken the following as part of our journey:
- Installed LED lighting at our Spalding office to reduce our carbon footprint and energy spend
- Encouraged staff to recycle wherever possible
- Carried out many initiatives providing support to local, national and international charities
- Reduced our overall carbon footprint by 41.9% over the last 5 years
- Replaced single use plastic wherever we can (e.g. using glass milk bottles and pens made from bamboo or sugar cane waste)
We have strong ambitions and aim to be one of the UK’s’ greenest’ law firms. Whilst it’s a long journey, the enthusiasm of our staff and clients helps to make it one that’s worthwhile.