The annual Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Investors in the Environment Awards took place on Tuesday 19th July, at Castle Rock’s fabulous Embankment in Nottingham.
The evening celebrated 26 local organisations who are making green practice the norm by first of all creating their own Environmental Management System and then following an practical Action Plan that cuts waste, energy use and the organisations overall carbon footprint, year on year.
The evening was sponsored by a group of fantastic organisations: Nottingham Trent University, Castle Rock Brewery, The Smoothie Bike Company, 2bm and Lindhurst Engineering, thank you again for your generous support.
iiE member WEGO kicked off the evening by delivering the certificates in one of their electric vehicles. The sustainable edge continued inside with The Smoothie Bike Company providing the bikes and fruit for members to make their own drinks using their own steam.
iiE’s Ella McManus hosted the evening and Mallen Baker, sustainability activist and author of The Respectful Business Blog was guest speaker. Mallen also presented the awards certificates, of which there are three levels, Bronze, Silver and the highest standard, Green.
In order to achieve the highest Green Level award, businesses must achieve a minimum 2% improvement in resource efficiency over an agreed baseline figure. Other essential criteria include having a recycling system in place, adopting a travel plan, calculating a carbon footprint and setting targets for carbon reduction.
Ella also had the pleasure of announcing the recipients of four surprise Great Green Star awards; these particular awards recognise businesses that have gone above and beyond the accreditation criteria for the Green Award.
Our 2016 Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Investors in the Environment Winners
Great Green Star Winners
- Wastecycle – Great Green Star, Best Large Business 50% reduction in carbon emissions over the last 4 years 98% of 475,000 tonnes of waste diverted from landfill Recycled enough paper and card to print around 17,000,000 pieces of paper!
- 2bm – Great Green Star, Best Medium Business Overall reduction in emissions of 28% since 2013 They recycle all waste produced as a result of new data centre installs
- WEGO – Great Green Star, Best Small Business They have reduced carbon emissions from parcel deliveries by 22.3% over the last year. They are a chosen partner of the UN Climate Neutral Now initiative. They have been given the use of Nottingham City Centres roads for their EV
- Richard Fuller, County Battery – Great Green Star, Best Green Champion. Richard takes real pride in going the extra mile in his sustainability efforts and believes in the scheme whole heartedly. In his words ‘You’d have to be mad not to do it!
Green Award Winners
- Broxtowe Borough Council
- Castle Rock Brewery
- County Battery
- Evo Energy
- Greenvision Energy
- Mair Perkins Ltd
- Morris Vermaport
- Nottingham City CCG
- Nottingham North CCG
- Nottingham West CCG
- Pork Farms Riverside Bakery
- Poweri Ltd
- Rushcliffe CCG
- Starfish Group Ltd
- Sustainable Travel Collective
- Westville Group
- WF Glazing Protection
Bronze & Silver Award Winners
The next iiE Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire member event will take place towards the end of September as part of Zero Waste Week.
Find our how your business can become a member of Investors in the Environment
Contact Ella McManus, iiE Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire scheme Coordinator.
Telephone: 0115 985 3005
Email: [email protected]
Ella works Wednesdays and Fridays.